Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Lisp and Scheme

Here (scheme-vs-common-lisp) an interesting comparison between Common Lisp and Scheme.
Looks rather objective. I actually prefer Common Lisp... the only two I really hate are:
  1. 2-namespaces... but funcalling is not bad as I remembered, so I really don't care anymore (perhaps "hate" is a bit of a misnomer here)
  2. no standard prescribed TCO (though the implementations I chose support it, so after all I DGAF)... ah, no call/cc. However, I don't like call/cc (perhaps I have not grasped it fully)

Well... In fact I quite like that in Lisp I have conditions (which are just a generalization of exceptions). I'm quite used to using exceptions. And Lisp also offers throw/catch and named blocks which may be used to jump.

It looks like unwind-protect and call/cc do are not good friends. Moreover, I do not fiddle very often with control structures. However, I write quite a lot of code making use of control structures... error conditions and such.



No comments: