Thursday, December 30, 2010

IntelliJ 10 and PyCharm

So now I'm downloading IntelliJ 10. I already bought the upgrade, without even trying it. I am a very happy IntelliJ 9 user, the upgrade price is reasonable (especially because I qualify for academic discounts).

Moreover, I tried Pycharm and startup times have improved greatly. And IntelliJ is also very fast, almost comparable with some not too lightweight editors. I think I can live without many of the improvements they did to the X version of IntelliJ, however faster startup + mercurial + github integration for me are worth the price. And then there is the question of Python and Ruby plugins, which alone can make the difference.

If the Python plugin is as good as PyCharm (and it should) then I can do without upgrading WingIDE. WingIDE is still GTK (which bugs me a lot). And it is a nice IDE, I love it. However, it lacks refactoring. Ok, most refactoring in Python can't be done automatically, however simple local variables renames could (and both Eclipse and PyCharm do them).




No comments: