Friday, November 26, 2010

Slowly abandoning Apple?

There was a time when I used to say most software I use was Cocoa. Consequently, I did not use cross-platform software (a part from CLI stuff). I preferred the OS X only, non portable solution to cross-platform solutions every time the OS X provided a niftier integration with the system.

I was rather shocked considering that it is no longer true. First: I mostly work with non Apple systems (that is to say Windows and Linux). This is not really an issue: I was aware that my job could be done without a Mac. Being mostly a developer, I just need the development tools: compilers, open source interpreters, Eclipse, WingIDE, IntelliJ. All this stuff is cross platform. I also use latex (which is also cross platform). Unfortunately I use Word and the wonderful MathType quite often. Well... once I was very skeptical about the pair, long time ago. I changed my mind, of course. Still don't like word, but MathType is wonderful. JEdit and gvim more than TextMate or BBEdit.

I still use OmniGraffle, and I find it wonderful. However, I think that it sucks not being able to use it on my netbook (my apple laptop has a broken hard drive and I haven't fixed it yet). I mostly dropped Papers for Mendeley (cross-platform and I think more useful). My synchronization needs have increased: I use gmail more often than Mail; Dropbox beats the crap out of MobileMe (which I'm not going to renew).

Etc etc etc. In fact the last bundles of Mac software are not interesting from my point of view. I bought some sw some time ago, and I did not use it. Not that the MacOS is not great, beware. Just I feel like I have to be able to leave the platform with no hassle should the need arise. My MacPro is going to last, so is my laptop. But not forever; and then? I even find some things are better outside the mac (e.g., key shortcuts of IDEs... they are not standardized like on the mac, of course, but the ides just don't work at 100% on the mac... perhaps the new versions are improving).

Just happy I bought 1Password for Windows. Now I just have to leave Yojimbo. Still, no time to export the notes... and the serial numbers. I don't even want to think how much I money I threw away. :(

Yeah... of course, if I had more time to play things would be different. I just love Logic (Express) and doing audio on the Mac. Though, I have not enough time.

Powered by ScribeFire.



, , , ,

No comments: