Friday, November 12, 2010

Pickaxe (almost) for free [Ruby]

Although here in Italy there is lots of talking about Ruby, they are not quite referring to the programming language. However, there are some very interesting news about the programming language as well.

These days the new version of Programming Ruby (also known as the Pickaxe) has a huge discount: both the printed version and the electronic version cost $10. Buying both costs 20$.

I believe that publishers should really reconsider charging extra money for those who want also an electronic version of a book they already bought. They should reconsider this (as I'm afraid piracy will just become a serious problem as ipad/ebook riders and similar device are going to spread). However, in this case I don't care.

Why? 20$ to have a full book (electronic & paper) is a very convenient price and I'm happy with it that way. I just bought them so expect some more ruby related posts in the future. ;)





4 comments:

Valerio said...


Although here in Italy there is lots of talking about Ruby, they are not quite referring to the programming language.

ROTFL :D :D

I confess that when I heard about "Ruby", I always started thinking about the programming language... too geeky stuff probably :P

Alfredo said...

Are you beginning to play with Ruby?
I've programmed with Ruby for a while last year, and it leaved me a good impression :)

Unknown said...

"""
I confess that when I heard about "Ruby", I always started thinking about the programming language... too geeky stuff probably
"""

Being a geek is good. Besides, not being into gossip[0] is good as well.


---
[0] well, in fact I'm into gossip. it's just not the same gossip people do (http://scholar.google.it/scholar?q=gossiping+agent&hl=it&btnG=Cerca&lr=)

Unknown said...

I was quite an early adopter here in Italy. I started using it just after Rails became a buzzword (perhaps slightly before that).

I think[0] it was the early 2006 when I first started grokking Ruby.

A few months later we founded Python Italia APS and then I slowly stopped using Ruby, especially when Django proved as reliable as Rails, if not more.

And about "cool" languages back then I was also playing with Haskell. I think that it was one of the last years I had plenty of time.

-----
[0] http://www.enrico-franchi.org/2006/02/ruby-00.html