Thursday, June 24, 2010

Portable pleasure

This spring, I got convinced I needed a netbook. Essentially, I'm a satisfied Apple user (mostly). However, I needed a portable machine to work with. Work means coding. No code, no work. Moreover, I was curious of the new Windows 7 operating system and I also wanted to check Linux progresses as a desktop OS. I don't consider myself an Apple zealot: no Apple netbook, does not mean no netbook at all. I think Virtual Machines are a great tool. However, I don't really relate with virtual os's. I don't customize them. I just use them in order to perform some given tasks (e.g., testing). I thought that using Linux and Windows as primary operating systems when I only had the netbook was a great way to try them. I was pretty sure I could work with Linux (and I was confident I could overcome every installation issue that would have faced). I bought an Asus EEE 1005PE with 14h of autonomy declared. Other specs were completely uninteresting to me. CPU, RAM. I didn't give a fuck. If I need power, I've got a Mac Pro. If I need portable power, I have a Mac Book Pro. The EEE has plenty of HD space, and comes already partitioned (which means installing Linux is easy and you retain the EEE auto-reinstal clean windows capabilities). Should I need more ram, I could buy it. Ubuntu 10.4 is a pleasant surprise: I have never seen such a nice DE in a non Apple OS. The desktop is nice, the apps work great. NetworkManager does not suck anymore, some Ubuntu specific apps are very nice. It is rather pleasurable to work with (even if I don't use the netbook remix variant). Of course, some apps are completely lacking. However, I need it to code, write docs, email, browse... chat. Good. Windows was both a nice surprise and a disappointment. Compared to other MS OS's it is a nice surprise. It is fast, small, easy to use. Compared to what I read about Windows 7 it is a delusion: I think that Ubuntu is way nicer. However, I need some MS applications and that's it. With a little bit of work I installed everything I needed and I have got a nice working system. Unfortunately, Windows seems to slow down progressively and I don't understand why (I stopped installing stuff, I don't think that could be the cause). Hardware support is excellent both with Windows and with Ubuntu. Battery life lasts longer with Windows. I think about 12 hours of effective light work, wireless on. Ubuntu is probably around 9, which is sufficient for my goals.

Location:Via Montebello,Parma,Italy

No comments: