Thursday, March 23, 2006

Darwin Ports vs. Fink

Well... on my PB I recently installed Fink. It run smoothly. Fine. Here on my MacIntel I installed Darwin ports, since Fink is alpha on MacIntel.

DP is amazing. Works with no hassle and all. It's main disadvantage is that it compiles everything (and that is not quite a problem, since I have a 2 GHz DC processor). Well, I have always been a DP fan (being a BSD fan)... and I have to say they have improved.

Of course (as soon and it becomes more mature) some may prefer to use fink. Not having to deal with compiling issues (that are really rare on DP indeed) can be an advantage (or at least a speed up). Moreover DP lacks a decent UI.

For a cl geek like me this is not an issue (I tended to use fink that way too). But if yoou are used to sparkling icons, it may not be for you.

No comments: