Monday, November 6, 2006

ssh-copy-id

I develop a lot on unix remote machines. I have CVS/SVN accounts and shell access. In fact it's quite tedious to retype the password everytime.
For this reason I started using ssh keys to automate this project. You find a lot of tutorials and informations on this subject, I won't spend more time on this. Basically you have to generate the key and then you have to upload it with scp or similar on the remote machine. However, I find scp syntax quite boring to type... :P
There is a nifty script that does the job for you. You call something like (with you correct remote credentials), it asks you password and you're done.
ssh-copy-id -i ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub rik0@shell.berlios.de
This script is not in my open-ssh distribution and I had to find it on CVS. The direct download is . However, the script may be upgraded. So if you read this post after some time it has been posted, you may want to find a newer version.

No comments: