Sunday, November 12, 2006

Difference lists

Well.... I just discovered this new wonderful world. I really like them a lot.

I suspect I'm getting a little bit more into Prolog programming. However, I still find more exciting Haskell lazy programming. But I have to admit that my scarce love for Prolog it's more a problem of (my) ignorance.

A couple of days ago my Programming Language teacher built under my eyes a small compiler and and interpreter for arithmetic expressions in less than 10 minutes (while explaining Prolog to my fellow students). In fact he used extensively Prolog unification mechanism (since the arithmetic expressions he was compiling were also Prolog terms).

However, thanks to DCG grammars building a parser is also quite easy.

In fact I'm falling in love with declarative programming. I definitely start liking declarative languages like Haskell (functional) or Prolog (logic) a lot more than classical programming languages.

In fact I still love Python and Ruby. I like C (and  we *need* C). I also like compiled languages like ObjectiveC (waiting for Objective C 2.0...) and D. After all, I like C++ too. But what is the point of Java? I definitely don't understand. It's dramatically uninteresting.

No comments: