Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Servoy Hu? 2

Today, while checking my gmail account I read an ad about Servoy being an alternative to Ruby and Rails

Actually, I wanted to check out what was that. I thought about some crappy PHP framework that pretended to do what Rails just cloning its structure, but without Ruby power

In the homepage the first thing you learn about Servoy is that Ruby syntax is complex and that Rails has limited capabilities. Further analisys makes me think it's a Java based environment scripted in Javascript. Basically they are asserting that Javascript syntax is clearer than Ruby one (which is debatable) and that a RAD like thing built on Java is less limited than Rails. Note that Servoy is not Java: it is something built on Java (so I don't expect it to be as powerful as Java, or it would be as complex as well).I'm not against RAD or 'easy' environments. I just find ridiculous when they say that Rails is limited (that is false) and that a closed component system is more complete.

Moreover, I don't know anyone using this Servoy. I haven't read about it on tech magazines, my fellow developers haven't heard about it either. My opinion is that it's a small environment tool that uses Rails popularity (as a comparison) to convince people to pay them for something they could have done easier in Rails.

The same conclusions have been made by this blogger

No comments: