Friday, October 28, 2011

Ubuntu 11.10

Yesterday I decided to update my netbook to the last incarnation of the Ubuntu distribution. In the past days I read something about bad bugs in the kernel regarding power saving and similar stuff; however, nothing happened here (yet).

I was quite amazed to find a Linux 3.0 kernel. It is the single event that made me think how little I keep myself informed about Linux specific stuff. I still find it hard to study all the languages, technologies and theory which has to do with my work (which is also responsible for me posting very little, lately) and my generic interests (functional programming, for example). I simply dropped most stuff regarding system administration and even platforms. In fact, I haven't upgraded to Lion either.

So I don't know a thing about this Linux 3.0 kernel. On the other hand I remember I followed very closely the new features of the 2.2, 2.4 and 2.6 kernels. In fact, I have also some memories of stuff before that (I used mkLinux, though). I think this means I'm just growing older.

Anyway... I still don't like Unity. However, I'm one of those guys who basically open up a shell a fire some stuff from there (editor, interpreters and compilers). Or occasionally I open IntelliJ/PyCharm. So really, I'm not entitled to talk about that. I simply noticed that the colours moved from that tiring orange to shades of green which are just easier on my eyes. Nothing important. I just find it nice not to have the gnome menus, since I have a very very tiny screen. In this sense, my iPad screen feels just larger (even though it is not). I think it simply depends on the way applications are designed.

I just found out that for some reason I do not have Java properly installed, even if before the update I did have it. It felt akward to run clojure and get a "command not found: java" error; especially considering that up to 5 minutes before that I was debugging a Java project inside IntelliJ. Though I think it has something to do with my current installation of OpenJDK 7.

About the "good" things... Now leiningen is packaged (and decently recen, as far as I can tell); moreover, also clojure 1.2 (and contrib) are installable packages. Perhapsit could be enough... Waiting for Clojure 1.3, by the way.

No comments: