Monday, September 1, 2008

I'm Back (Back in Black)

I'm kind afraid the few who read this blog kind of regularly (for pretty wide values of regularly) stopped this despicable practice in the last year, as apparently I stopped writing as well.

This is indeed the bare naked truth. In september I graduated and in the last period I was astonishingly busy (and worried for the results). The results were excellent, but my schedule perseverated in being crowded. I also was thrown out from Google indexing since some nice guy proved that no PHP website can be left unattended for months (and did so filling my articles with invisible links to the worse sites of the web -- or the best ones, depending on your point of view --).

Out of the blue, I decided I could start writing again. And I decided to try the nice MacJournal application whose license I got among the ones in the last MacUpdate Bundle.

The bundle itself was quite unsatisfactory. I don't use most of the applications. I don't like Mellel (and in fact I'm a quite satisfied Nisus Pro user) and I find DEVONagent wonderful and mysterious as well (that implies that I was unsuccessful in making something of it). Some of the other applications are great, though I don't really need them.

For example I'm using 1% of Contactizer Pro capabilities and I think I scribbled somewhere I was to learn to use the program, since it seems extremely useful. I'm also very satisfied by LightZone, since I recently bought a nice reflex and plan to use it a lot. Unfortunately enough, I don't seem to have time to spend sightseeing (and consequently taking pictures) and this is how the story ends. Moreover, I really need two things in an image editing program: something to straighten the horizon and Photoshop ‘patch' tool. Appearently even Gimp has it, but not Pixelmator (nor LightZone, but this is because LZ is a totally different kind of program).

DSC_0351-2008-09-1-05-24.JPG

Moreover, I've got no time to learn LightZone and I'm afraid I'll stick with iPhoto even though it can only save edited images as JPEGs. Which kind of sucks, but it's my fault: I paid for more professional and I don't want to learn how to use them. Besides, the meaning of "more professional software" is still under theological scrutiny.

As a pleasant side effect of the MacUpdate Bundle, I got an enormous discount on software from Koingo Software. This particular discount gives me access to all the applications they created or will create and their updates as well. Librarian Pro is among them.

I love Librarian Pro. I love books and LP seems a great way to keep a catalog. And one day or another, I will put it online. But this is another story.

Going back to MacJournal, it seems an extremely good application. Maybe I will write this blog regularly, after all.

What else? We did Pycon Italy 2008, which was great. And since the blog was not actively maintained, I did not write about it then.

And for those of you curious about my yellow dog... it seems a Leopard ate it. Poor dog! :P

No comments: